Monday, April 13, 2009

With the Yankees playing during the early hours of the morning and out of the gates with a modest 3-3 record, I've taken it upon myself to supplement my baseball needs with another team with nearly equal prestige. I can now call myself a fan of the Kia Tigers and with the likelihood of these two teams ever confronting each at any level of competition just above nil, I have very few qualms with sharing my loyalties.

A few of my fellow teachers and I made it out to the home opener for the Kia Tigers as they were chalked up to play against the Sumsung Lions. Looking past the blatant corporate sponsorship that is evident throughout the league I was rather amazed to see a great degree of enthusiasm among the fans in the crowd. Even though, instead of of identifying with a city or region, our dear Tigers were intimately associated with a car company, there was no lack of support for our local heroes. I was taken aback at the crowd's ability to coordinate an elaborate cheer, equipped with stomps, thundersticks and chanting even during the most insignificant parts of the game. Although my inability as a camerman will not allow you to see the footage that I tried to capture of this phenomenon, even in the first inning when there was one out and no one on base, the crowd was on its feet and and cheering for their boys in red. While we were in a section that was somewhat less galvanized by the excitement of the event there was no question that for most, this baseball game was no spectator sport.

On the teaching front, I've begun a a temporary stint of working the night shift. For everyone that I've told this to, they are all surprised at the notion of classes being taught at night. However, I wish to remind the reader that this is a country where education is rigorous, thorough and lengthy. For kids, it is something of a way of life. As a result I have a full schedule that begins at 2 PM and takes me right up until 10 PM. It's not an awful situation. I can be liberal with the amount of time spent sleeping during the morning hours and being the last one in the office lets me take advantage of the Wi-Fi that is now available here with minimal interruption. Either way, this schedule will probably only continue for another week or so until I am placed into a more permanent position.

Easter was an incredibly uneventful day. For Korea, it was just another day and even for the other American teachers it didn't seem have too much of an impact on their weekend schedules. Much of the day was spent sifting through a paper thin array of movies on television that could actually be seen in English. The result was two Die Hard movies and The Golden Compass. One can't be choosy in a situation such as this. On the bright side, I was able to wake up early this morning (Monday) and catch Easter in full swing back in the states via Skype. It was good to see and hear from the family as I huddled near an unopened cafe, stealing its wi-fi for my communication purposes. The blessing and the curse of this country is that the bars stay open until 5 or 6 in the morning. I have no complaints with having such a wide berth for evening festivities but the result is a community that stumbles awake some time around 10 o'clock. This meant that at 6 30 in the morning I was left with few options for getting the internet.

If you celebrate it, I hope you had a great Easter and, if not, I hope you had a great weekend.

For now, the Land of the Morning Calm sleeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment