Friday, May 1, 2009

I think I speak for countless generations in America that were born anytime before 1990 or so when I stress the tragic magnitude of my misfortune that is being in a country that celebrates a Childrens Day at a time in my life that numerically places me beyond the cusp of childhood. I still hear the echoing laments from children of a decade ago wishing that somewhere in the line of days dedicated to Mothers, Parents, Flags and Trees there might be a single one commemorating our overlooked though essential niche of society. Now that I am finally country that recognizes this gift of youthful naivete I can do so only as bygone celebrant.

On the other hand, such festivities do warrant two days off, yielding a four day weekend that begins in 9 minutes. ( I have the interesting fortune of having a prep period at the very end of the day). Before I touch upon my plans for these four days I feel the need to first recount the things that have already happened.

Last night was my first night hanging out with actual Korean friends. I realize you readers out there are stunned and amazed by such a feat but I will go further to say that I was the only foreigner among the three of us. I will also qualify thos achievement by admitting that they both speak English rather well and that one of them was a dual English/Korean major at university. This basically means I was talking to two individuals who spoke my language but happened to grow up in Korea. Nothing terribly spectacular but still something.

When we decided to hang out on a Thursday night I immediately assumed that it would be an early start and an early finish. This assumption was summarily dismissed when I learned that they didn't get off of work until 9:30 pm, which meant that they pretty much had the schedule that I had before I started working mornings. As I have mentioned and many of you will have assumed, this creates an opportunity or temptation to spend a late night enjoying yourself while allowing you ample time to recover and make it to work the next day. I certainly balked at the prospect of starting a night so late but it would have been rather uncharacteristic of me to decline an offer to be sociable.

The night began at around 10 o'clock when I met the first of my new friends in front of a Starbucks near where I work. We walked to a traditional Japanese restaurant and ordered food. Interestingly enough, I was in Korea, in the company of Koreans , but somehow managed to go to a Japanese restaurant and order a plate of sausage, complete with a side of kraut and kimchi. I was, by no means unhappy with what we ordered, but taken aback by the irony of the situation.


(This post was written on Friday but was interrupted by outside influences. It is now Monday evening. I apologize for the abrupt ending.)

No comments:

Post a Comment